Emergency Water Supply
You Have A Tale to Tell
Have you ever had your water shut off and had to live on your emergency water supply? Or lived without running water? You have a tale to tell. Share your story and gain new insights as you read someone's story.
My Story: Living Without Running Water
I’ve taken it for granted that water always comes out of the tap until I spent four months in a foreign country.
Here are a few of the lesson I learned:
- Water is essential to life. I know that’s obvious just like air is essential to life, but most of us take both of them for granted.
- You need more than a gallon of drinking water every day. I had two gallons of drinking water. If it’s really hot or really cold you need to drink a lot of water. The heat zaps it out of you, and you’ll freeze to death without drinking sufficient water in cold weather.
See Methods of Water Purification
- Conserving water is required. I had 5 gallons of non-potable water each day. This is what I did with it:
- First, I took a shower. I stood in an empty bucket and used a cup to pour water over my body. I’m a little slow, and it took me about three weeks to discover that I could create my own makeshift shower by using a cup to pour water over myself.
- Second, I used the run-off from my shower to wash my clothes. I divided it into two buckets and used one bucket to wash my clothes and the other bucket to rinse my clothes.
- Third, I used the dirty wash water to flush the toilet. We had a toilet but no running water going to the toilet.
- I learned that I can live without running water. It took me about two months to get used to the lifestyle adjustment, then all seemed normal again. When I got back to the states, it amazed me that all the lights worked and that clean water came out of the faucet.
Now let’s hear from you . . .
Do you have a water tale to tell?
I've talked to many of you that have had quite the experience living without running water. Share your adventure with us and make sure to include some of your best tips to help those that haven't had your experience.
What Other Visitors Have Said
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
No water in South Africa Not rated yet
My husband was a game ranger in South Africa when we were young and at one stage in our lives there was a drought which meant no running water at all, …
No Running Water Living in Alaska Not rated yet
When I worked on the Alaska pipeline We lived in a cabin 25 miles out of Fairbanks on the Chena River with no running water. The owner of the cabin was …
Broken Hot Water Heater Not rated yet
When I was young, I spent several months volunteering in Florence, Italy with three other women. Italy has running water, but our apartment water heater …
Water Bottle Caps - Reuse Them! Not rated yet
What a great idea, no more twist ties or rubber bands, and they are water proof and air tight. Super!
The guy who first thought of the idea must be …
Frugal Home - Conserving Water Not rated yet
My parents built their house first and then added the water system later. The water system had three wells with a pipe line that was a mile from the house …
Click here to write your own.
Return to Methods of Water Purification from Emergency Water Supply